I'm pretty good at searching for hours and finding what I need to fix something. Since Inkscape is one of my main applications, I thought it was deserving of the attention.
After finding surprisingly little about this, I decided to try running the development version of Inkscape. Here's how I did this.
First, I choose to use synaptic for this:
sudo apt-get install synapticThen, I had to add the development build to my sources:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:inkscape.dev/trunk
In synaptic, check to confirm that you have the development repository added:
After uninstalling your current Inkscape, use synaptic to install the development version:
Worked like a charm. I wish I had more to report on what was causing the crashes, but this was a problem that I spent a lot of failed attempts to fix it. So, I was just happy to have it working again.